Display Options


Qualifications at level 2, 3 and above

Tags: Practitioners

Early Years Educator: changes to Level 3 Diploma qualifications

** These changes don't apply to practitioners who started their Level 3 Diploma before 1st September 2014, as long as the course was "full and relevant" at the time they started it.

  1. To count as "full and relevant" from September 2014, Level 3 Diplomas must be an "Early Years Educator" qualification. This qualification is accredited by a number of awarding bodies including Cache,  City and Guilds and Edexcel. Check with the relevant awarding body whether the company you are considering using is an approved centre.
  2. Learners are required to have GCSE qualifications in Maths and English before starting the course to receive government funding. Functional skills will not be accepted as equivalent to GCESs. 
  3. Employees with an Early Years Educator qualification must have the Maths and English GCSEs to be counted in a nursery's ratios as a Level 3 qualified member of staff.

Training providers for Level 2 and 3 qualifications

Lambeth College: contact Course Advice and Information Service 020 7501 5000

Leap UK: 01263 578141, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Learn Plus Us: contact Judith Wayne 020 8444 4304 or This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Leadership and Management qualifications

  • Courses are available at Levels 3 upwards. For example:
  • CMI Level 5 Award and Diploma in Management and Leadership (Early Years)
  • Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young Peoples Services (Level 5)
  • ILM Level 5 Award, Certificate and Diploma in Leadership and Management
  • Level 7 National Professional Qualification for Integrated Centre Leadership (NPQICL)

Questions to ask

Who accredits the qualification? The ILM (Institute of Leadership and Management) and CMI (Chartered Management Institute) are two of the best known awarding bodies for these qualifications. In addition many universities will offer their own qualifications.

Do you gain higher education credits on the course and at what level? You may be able to transfer credits to a bigger qualification at the same level, such as a Foundation degree. Credits should be transferable to other learning providers such as a university.

Can you talk to previous students? Seek recommendations from your peers and references from organisations, both about the qualification and the training provider.

How can I find a training provider? The ILM and CMI websites provide links to local trainers. Contact your local college, university or search online.

Leap UK has provided management training courses on behalf of Lambeth for the last three years. Contact: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or 01263 578141 to discuss your requirements.