Display Options


Early Years Pupil Premium

Tags: Parents and Carers

What is Pupil Premium?

It is an additional funding that you may be eligible to. It is given to your provider to improve your child's early education.

Your childcare provider can claim an extra £300 per year to spend on improving your 3 and 4 year old child's learning.


Is my child eligible?

You may apply for Early Years Pupil Premium:

If your child is aged 3 or 4 years old,

Is receiving the free early education hours at a nursery, pre-school or child-minder's setting and you are eligible for one of the following:

Free School Meals because you are in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

- Income support

- Job Seeker's Allowance (Income-based)

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income-related)

- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

- The guaranteed element of the State Pension Credit

- Child Tax Credit based on an annual gross income of no more than £16,190

- Working Tax Credit run-on

Other circumstances if your child has been:

- Looked after by the Local Authority for at least one day

- Has been adopted from care

- Has left care through special guardianship

- Subject to a child arrangement order


How does Early Year Pupil Premium help my child?

These are some of the examples that your provider may do to improve your child's education:

- Benefit from extra resources and equipment suitable for their needs

- Enjoy a range of new play, learning and activity experiences

- Be introduced to new languages


How can I measure the outcome?

Childcare settings will have to show to Ofsted how the monies have been used to improve your child's education. You also have the right to ask your provider as to how the money has been used to benefit your child


What do I do next?

If you think you qualify, it's quick and easy.

Talk to your childcare provider and they will give you a form to fill. This form will ask for details of your name, surname, date of birth and national insurance number or NASS number. You will also put in your child's details.

On completion of the form your provider will submit it to the local authority so that your eligibility can be verified. Once this is done your provider will get the money.

If your child qualifies for one of the criteria under 'Other circumstances' you will need to provide evidence of this to the local authority. You will still need to fill in the form and then attach the relevant order. You may do this directly to the local authority informing your provider that you have done so or you may give the form and relevant order to your provider.  The following is a link that parents can use to upload their information directly to the local authority and check details on the eligibility checker.

If you want to send it directly to the local authority please send your form and evidence to the following email address: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it


This is a link parents can use to upload their information directly to the local authority to check their details on the eligibility checker.


This is an alternative means to them writing their details down on the parent declaration form.


Please ask them to fill in the form instead. We will come back to you with responses


The link for the form is https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=144302082489 .