Display Options


My review meetings

Here are some questions that lots of young people ask us often about reviews, why we have them, and what to expect!

Q.  Why do I have to have a review meeting?

A.  The law says that any child or young person in care up to the age of 18 has to have a review to make sure that your day-to-day and long-term needs are being met by the people looking after you.  This will include your education, health and contact with your family.  You will always have your say in your review meeting and can do this by having your say there, writing your views down, or talking to the Independent Review Officer before the meeting. 

Q.  Who is an Independent Reviewing Officer?

A.  An Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) is an experienced Social Worker who works for Lambeth Council to chair your review meeting.  It is their job to make sure that your Care Plan is being met properly, and that everyone has a fair say at the meeting. 

Q.  Where will my review take place?

A.  Your review meeting will be held where you are living unless there is some reason why it cannot be held there.  If you would prefer to have your review meeting somewhere else than you can let your social worker know and you can tell us where  

Q.  When can I go home?

A.  This is a difficult question to answer because every child and young person’s situation is different.  It will depend on why you are looked after and the reasons why you couldn’t live at home.  You can talk to your Social Worker and Independent Reviewing Officer to make sure you do understand why you are looked after.

Q.  When can I see my family?

A.  We always want to make sure that you can keep in contact with your family, friends and carers where it is safe for you to do so.  Your Social Worker will talk to you about how and when you will see your family.  You, your social worker and the people looking after you will decide together when, where and how you will keep in touch with your family and friends.  Your feelings and wishes will be listened to before this is decided.

Sometimes the court will make a decision about how often you should see or speak to your family or sometimes a friend.  This is called a Contact Order.  This can say that you should not see a certain person.  Sometimes it can say where and when you might see certain family members or friends, and who else should be there with you.  A contact order is made to protect you and make sure you are always safe.

Q.  Can I sleepover at my friend’s house?

A.  We want you to be able to have fun with your friends.  We will always need to know the name and address of your friend, and perhaps meet the adult living in the house.  You will need to get permission from your carer/key worker to sleep over.  Sometimes you might not be allowed to if there is a worry about your safety.  If you have any questions or worries about this please talk to you Social Worker or carer/key worker. 

Q.  Why does my Social worker change so much?

A.  Unfortunately, there is a problem in London as a whole with Social Workers changing jobs more often than we like!  We do understand that this can be very hard for you to meet a new worker again.  As a Council we are trying to hire Social Workers that will stay with us for longer.  If you are worried about this you can talk to your Independent Reviewing officer, an advocate, your social worker, or another trusted adult.